Go to Home

Recreational Fishing Permits

As a result of the High Court decision in June 2008 regarding the Blue Mud Bay case, people wishing to enter tidal waters overlying Aboriginal Land Trusts for the purpose of recreational fishing require a licence and a permit issued by the Northern Land Council.

The NLC has developed an interim Recreational Fishing Licencing and Permit Scheme.

The scheme ensures that:
• Recreational anglers will continue to have access to tidal waters overlying Aboriginal Land Trusts in the Northern Territory;
• No fees apply;
• A licence and permit needs to be applied for, and will be valid until 31 December, 2015;
• The NLC will be a "one-stop shop" and will process all interim recreational fishing licences and permits for tidal Aboriginal waters on behalf of the Northern Land Council and the Anindilyakwa Land Council.

To apply for a recreational licence and permit, an application form can be downloaded here.

* Updated: Thursday, 5 November, 2015