Go to Home

Work, Transit, Recreational fishing and Tourist Permits

Aboriginal land is privately owned. It is not Crown land, nor public land.

Like other landowners in Australia, Aboriginal people have the legal right to grant or refuse permission to people wishing to enter or travel through their land.

Permission to enter private land and waters is required through the grant of a Permit.

The NLC permit system is designed to help protect the privacy of Aboriginal communities, preserve Aboriginal culture, safeguard the natural environment and promote visitor safety.

Below is the application form for a work, transit, recreational fishing or tourist permit. The form is available in electronic, word and PDF formats.

It is strongly advised you read the Frequently Asked Questions before completing your application form.

Work, Transit, Recreational fishing and Tourist Permits application form:

Electronic version
Printable PDF version
Printable Word doc version

Recreational fishing - additional information

Download the NLC Sea Country Access Arrangements Map (PDF) to see where permitted access areas are and where a permit is required.

Read the Information Sheet on Access to Tidal Waters on Aboriginal Land for more information.

Read the NLC Notice pursuant to section 5(8) of the Aboriginal Land Act  that relates to access to tidal waters over Aboriginal land.

Specific Permit Requirements – Other than NLC

East Arnhem: Dhimurru Indigenous Protected Area

Dhimurru is an incorporated Aboriginal organisation established by Yolngu traditional Aboriginal owners in north east Arnhem Land, Australia. Yolngu have agreed for visitors to safely enjoy the 20 designated recreational areas within the Indigenous Protected Area in a sustainable way.

Permits: Visitors wishing to visit the recreational areas must firstly obtain a permit from Dhimurru Aboriginal Corporation. Specific permit information and applications can be completed online at http://www.dhimurru.com.au or in person at the Dhimurru office in Nhulunbuy. Phone enquiries should be directed to (08) 89392 700.