COVID-19: Travel advice within the NLC region (English version)
Date: Jun 30, 2021
Publication Type: Media Releases
Due to the current COVID-19 outbreak in the Northern Territory, the NLC has suspended all permits from Sunday 27 June until Friday 2 July 2021.
Please re-consider your need to travel to Aboriginal Land during at this time. Communities across the Northern Land Council region have made it clear that the NLC should stop people travelling unless they are performing an essential service or function.
You may only access Aboriginal Land if:
- You are a resident
- You are an Essential Worker (as defined by the NTG) and you have obtained an approved NLC permit
- You are already on Aboriginal Land and are returning home by the most direct route
If you are currently in the Greater Darwin area
The NTG is restricting entry and exit from the Greater Darwin area. You are not allowed to leave the Greater Darwin area without approval of the Chief Health Officer (CHO). Do not leave Darwin to enter Aboriginal Land without an exemption from the CHO
If you are currently on Aboriginal Land in the NLC area
If this is your usual place of residence, you should remain there and stay safe on country. If your usual place of residence is outside of Aboriginal Land you should return home as soon as practical and by the most direct means. Limit your exposure as much as possible and follow the applicable directions of the CHO
If you are currently outside of Greater Darwin and not on Aboriginal Land
People from Katherine, Tennant Creek and other regional areas of the Northern Territory are not affected by the Greater Darwin lockdown. Entry to Aboriginal Land is still restricted to essential workers and residents only. We advise you minimise your movements as much as possible.
Guidance for Permit Applicants
- If you intend to visit Aboriginal Land please contact the appropriate NLC Regional Office at least 24 hours before you travel
- Permit applicants must agree to COVID-safe conditions and complete a travel declaration
- The NLC will consider all applications and consult with local Traditional Owners before granting a permit.
For the most up to date information and frequently asked questions about the Greater Darwin lockdown and current COVID-19 exposure sites see: https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/