Northern Land Council extends permit suspension to Friday
Date: Jun 29, 2021
Publication Type: Media Releases
The NLC has today extended the suspension of permits to enter and remain on Aboriginal Land to 1pm on Friday 2 July 2021.
This is consistent with yesterday’s announcement of an extension of the lockdown across the Greater Darwin area by NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner to the same time and date.
On Sunday 27 June 2021 the NLC announced that it would suspend all permits to enter and remain on Aboriginal Land until 1pm today, Tuesday 29 June 2021.
NLC Chairman Samuel Bush-Blanasi repeated his call for Aboriginal people to stay safe.
“I congratulate all of our mob who have done a great job looking after families so far and this extension of the suspension of permits is another way we can do our best to make sure people stay safe," said Mr Bush-Blanasi.
“If you are on country or in a remote community the best thing for you and your families is to stay there. People living outside of the Greater Darwin area can travel between their communities but cannot travel into the Greater Darwin area."
NLC CEO Marion Scrymgour said that essential services to remote communities would not be disrupted.
“We need to do whatever it takes to make sure our mob stays safe from this Delta variant of the COVID-19 virus. Communities right across the NLC area have told us very clearly that we have to stop people travelling unless they are performing an essential service or function.
“The NLC will be providing further information for our mob living out bush and for the general public later today. We are working closely with the NT government to make sure the vaccine is rolled out to more of our communities as a priority."
Ms Scrymgour said as this situation is changing rapidly it is important that people stay informed and check the NT government’s COVID-19 Public Exposure Sites daily for new locations.
- A full list of occupations considered as Essential Worker:
- Further information on COVID-19 measures: