Travel advice within the NLC region – update as at 16 August 2021
Date: Aug 16, 2021
Publication Type: Media Releases
In response to the COVID-19 event in the Greater Darwin and Katherine regions all permits to enter and remain on Aboriginal Land in the NLC region are suspended from 12 midday on 16 August 2021 until further notice.
You may only enter Aboriginal Land if:
- You are an Essential Worker (as defined by the Northern Territory Government) and you have obtained an approved NLC permit;
- You are a resident and have NOT been in a lockdown area;
- You are already on Aboriginal Land and are returning home by the most direct route.
Outside of the Greater Darwin and Katherine regions we urge all people to seriously re-consider travel to Aboriginal Land.
Communities across the NLC region have made it clear that the NLC should stop people travelling unless they are performing an essential service or function.
- A list of occupations defined as Essential Worker is available on the NTG website.
Have you been in a lockdown area, hotspot or exposure site?
If you have been in the Greater Darwin or Katherine regions and are entering Aboriginal Land or have been in a lockdown area, hotspot or exposure site in the past 14 days then you must follow any directions from the Chief Health Officer (CHO) and act in a COVID safe way. Wear a mask, maintain social distancing and good hygiene practices.
Are you currently on Aboriginal Land?
If this is your usual place of residence, you should remain there and stay safe on country. If your usual place of residence is outside of Aboriginal Land you should return home as soon as practical and by the most direct means.
Have you not been in a lockdown area?
Entry to Aboriginal Land is restricted to residents and essential workers (who have an approved NLC permit) only. We urge that you only travel if absolutely necessary.
Guidance for permit applicants
- If you are an Essential Worker and need to travel onto Aboriginal Land please contact the appropriate NLC Regional Office at least 48 hours before you travel.
- Essential Worker Permit applicants must agree to Covid-safe conditions and complete a Covid-19 travel declaration.
- Application is no guarantee of success. The NLC will only consider Essential Worker Permit applications during this lockdown period.
For the latest updates about COVID-19 in the NT visit: https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au