Visitor Permit

You may apply for a Visitor Permit if you have been invited to stay with a community resident for the purpose of visiting family or friends, attending a funeral or other community event.

Overnight visitors must nominate their place of accommodation and should reside there. Applicants should provide the name and contact details of the community resident they plan to stay with. 

Visitors should abide by the community’s alcohol restrictions and as a guest of the community, visitors should obey all instructions from traditional Aboriginal owners while in the community.

If you want to carry out recreational activities on Aboriginal land outside the specified Aboriginal community, you will need a Recreation Permit as well as your Visitor Permit.

Who can apply?

Anyone who has been invited by a community resident to visit family or friends or attend community events.

How to apply?

You can now manage your permits online. We encourage you to register for the NLC permit system. This will make your permit process faster and more efficient. To apply for an NLC permit:

For guidelines on how to use the Permit Administration System (PAS) see: How to use PAS.

Application process

Your application for an NLC permit must specify the purpose of your visit, the dates, places and access routes, and your vehicles, passengers and accommodation. The NLC will consider your application and seek approval from relevant traditional Aboriginal owners. 

Please allow up to 10 days for processing and contact us about access restrictions during the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Permit contact centre

If you have any questions about the system or the application process, please use our contact centre to record your query and an NLC staff member will get in touch as soon as possible. You can use the contact centre without being logged-in. Otherwise, email us at, call 1800 645 299, or contact an NLC Regional Office for local advice.

Entry without a permit

Unauthorised entry could result in a fine of 50 penalty units (currently $11,100) under Commonwealth law or 8 penalty units (currently $1,264) under Northern Territory law. The acceptance of insurance claims on Aboriginal land may rely on a valid permit.