Incident Management and Ranger Support Project
NLC's Indigenous Ranger Compliance Support Project
Through support from the National Indigenous Australians Agency (NIAA) the NLC’s Caring for Country branch has been provided some funding to help ensure NLC Ranger Groups are appropriately trained, resourced and supported to undertake targeted compliance activities on their traditional land and sea estates.
The project also aims to ensure that traditional owners and rangers lead the management of compliance activities on their country, that the rangers are kept safe and that the external agencies have the evidence they need to effectively deal with people who break the law.
What are the benefits for the NLC and rangers?
- Protection and promotion of Aboriginal rights, interests and culture, and mutual respect between landowners and visitors
- NLC Rangers are better skilled, equipped and supported to conduct compliance activities safely on country
- A clearer way forward for managing compliance risks, while engaging traditional owners and other stakeholders
- Providing opportunities for rangers to develop compliance skills in preparation for future opportunities with partner agencies, including the appointment of legislated powers
What are the benefits for our partner agencies?
- Provides increased capacity and quality with ‘eyes and ears’ surveillance across remote areas
- Provides intelligence, evidence and other information in relation to unlawful activities on Aboriginal lands
- Provides partner agencies a centralised point for liaising with NLC ranger groups in relation to compliance issues, allows for further development of relationships and systems, streamlines referral process and access to ‘filtered’ reports and intelligence.
- Provides further opportunities to work closely with NLC rangers on their country.
What are the benefits for visitors?
Through developed compliance strategies and compliance education programs, signage etc, visitors will:
- Better understand their obligations and responsibilities when accessing Aboriginal land
- Have a better understanding of the role rangers have in caring for country
Oct 25, 2023
October 2023 Incident Management and Ranger Support - Caring for Country Newsletter
Apr 20, 2020
What you need to know about the Ranger Compliance Support Project at the NLC.