COVID-19 lockdown - Northern Land Council says 'Stay Safe, Stay on Country, Care for Family'
Date: Jun 27, 2021
Publication Type: Media Releases
Earlier today the Northern Territory Government declared that Darwin, Palmerston and Litchfield local government areas will enter a full lockdown for 48 hours effective from 1pm on Sunday 27 June 2021.
The NLC head office in Darwin will be closed for this period and all staff travel has been restricted until further notice.
Consistent with the approach taken by the NLC in March 2020, travel into remote Aboriginal communities on Aboriginal land—or travel to communities that involves crossing Aboriginal land—will be restricted to NT Government essential services staff and functions only.
NLC Permits issued for travel over the next 48 hours are suspended.
NLC Chairman Samuel Bush-Blanasi said that the NLC considered this the right thing to do and urged Aboriginal Territorians to look after each other:
“The message is the same as last year: 'Stay Safe, Stay on Country and Care for Family'.”
Mr Bush-Blanasi also urged people not to respond to or be guided by what NT Police Commissioner Chalker called ‘rumour and innuendo’ being spread on social media.
“People shouldn’t listen to gossip being spread on Facebook and other social media sites – particularly about something as serious as this. The best information is available at the NT government website coronavirus.nt.gov.au or on reliable media outlets like the NT News or the ABC,” said Mr Bush-Blanasi.
The NT Government has established a 24-hour hotline to provide information about the lockdown arrangements: 1800 193 111.