Apply for a permit

Commonwealth and Northern Territory law says that entry to Aboriginal land requires a written permit. The Northern Land Council is responsible for administering the permit system for traditional owners in the Top End.

You need to apply to the Northern Land Council for a permit if you wish to undertake any of the following activities on Aboriginal land in the Northern Land Council region:

  • Enter Aboriginal land or waters for any purpose
  • Travel by road through Aboriginal land (Note: this does not apply to public roads)
  • Enter or visit an Aboriginal Community (Note: some exceptions apply)

Please choose from one of the following permits: 

Please read the Frequently Asked Questions before completing and submitting your permit application.