Apply for a permit
Commonwealth and Northern Territory law says that entry to Aboriginal land requires a written permit. The Northern Land Council is responsible for administering the permit system for traditional owners in the Top End.
You need to apply to the Northern Land Council for a permit if you wish to undertake any of the following activities on Aboriginal land in the Northern Land Council region:
- Enter Aboriginal land or waters for any purpose
- Travel by road through Aboriginal land (Note: this does not apply to public roads)
- Enter or visit an Aboriginal Community (Note: some exceptions apply)
Please choose from one of the following permits:
- Work, transit, recreational fishing and tourism permit
- Research permit
- Media permit
- Commercial, Film, Video, Photography, Audio Record or Book
Please read the Frequently Asked Questions before completing and submitting your permit application.